Email counselling is a convenient alternative to face-to-face sessions. While still structured with an agreement about when emails need to be sent by and will be responded to, email counselling allows you to take time to consider what issues you wish to share and how you wish to word information.
What are the benefits of email counselling?
1. There is no right or wrong way to write a counselling email.
You could write your email in 20 minutes and send, revisit it several times over several days, or maybe jot down your thoughts and feels as the week goes by and tidy them up just before sending.
You can write 100 words; you can write 1000 words. It is up to you.
2. If you are not confident in speaking to some one you have not met, email counselling has a sense of anonymity, you will not have to face the person who is reading the email and will still be able to explore difficult or challenging situations in your life.
3. Email counselling offers you the space and time to organise your thoughts, to get information in an order that you are happy with before someone else sees what you have written. As mentioned above, there is no right or wrong way to write a counselling email, this organising would be a purely personal task.
4. Writing down what is going on for you gives you the opportunity to revisit this later, in the style of keeping a diary, you will be able to track the progress you are making or consider the comments of your counsellor at your leisure.
5. Email counselling is convenient, does not require you working out travel time and has a permanent record. For the modern, technology-focused world, it is an accessible and beneficial form of counselling.
As with face-to-face counselling, I will respond to you in a non-judgemental and empathetic manner.
Your security is my priority and, unfortunately, email counselling may not be suitable for you if you do not have a private space where you live that gives you the freedom to write your email or store your emails and my replies.
All emails will be sent through Egress, which is a free, online encryption service that you will have to create an account with.
If you have any questions regarding email counselling, please feel free to get in touch.